Saturday, January 30, 2010

My thoughts create my world

A couple of months ago, miss hayleyghoover made a video about how grilled cheese is romantic and she mentioned that her favorite love story is the Jessica Darling series, written by Megan McCafferty. As obsessesive as I am, I HAD to read it. I found some really cheap copies on ebay and started reading them over winter break.

The novels are written as a journal, so it felt too familiar for me to be reading them. Jessica Darling is a teenager in New Jersey, her parents don't get her at all, her best friend moves away, fake friends, and a crush on a certain myserious dreg bring all the drama and humor and angst that made me fall in love with the series.

Jessica is so original, and yet I could totally relate to her relationship with her parents or the problems you face when everything around you seems to go just totally opposite from what you want it to go. Her sarcasm and intelligent type of humor is just priceless.

And then there is the boy. Krispy Kreme, Marcus Flutie, he didn't just make Jessica fall for him, he made ME fall for him. Despite his mental games, his coming and going all the time, I loved him from the start. Maybe it was the bad boy turned good appeal, but I want a Marcus just for me. yes. me.

The books are also so great because Jessica grows up in them, yes she makes mistakes like all of us, but you can tell she is growing up. Making big decisions in her life, decisions I have faced before and decisions I will have to make soon, and there is something just so comforting in reading someone else's thoughts about them and realizing that freaking out is like, somewhat normal.

I only got Sloppy Firsts, Second Helpings, Charming Thirds, and Fourth Comings. I haven't read the final book, Perfect Fifths, I bought it but had it delivered to my aunt's house, and my mom went to visit her last week, so it's very likely I'll get it sometime this weekend. :)


I'm gonna post some of my favorite quotes so beware, nothing too spoilery, just thought I should let you know.



"I can't remember the last time my mom was so right about something. Marcus Flutie had zero chance at being my boyfriend and had even less of a shot at being a real friend to me. But that conversation in the Caddie guaranteed that Marcus Flutie would never be nobody. At least, not to me." - Jessica Darling in Sloppy Firsts.

---------------

"Are you quiet because you're surprised or because you're repulsed?"
"Neither," I replied. "I'm quiet because we've done enough talking." - Marcus Flutie and Jessica Darling in Second Helpings


----------------

furious flutter
awakened hummingbird heart
hello hello love - poetry spam # 21 - Marcus Flutie in Charmed Thirds

---------------

"Your kisses scrambled my brain. They manipulated the solar system. They returned Marcus Flutie to the center of my universe. I was defenseless against your pe-Copernican pull." -Jessica Darling in Fourth Comings



---------------


I love those, but I promise the books are SO much better than that. If you get a chance do read them, please.

One last thing, remember the book I mentioned a while ago? Well, it's John Green and David Levithan's new book, Will Grayson, Will Grayson. It's coming out in April and Steph's Bowe is giving away an ARC of the book, so if you'd like one clic here: http://heyteenager.blogspot.com/2010/02/win-arc-of-will-grayson-will-grayson-by.html :)


Much love,

No comments:

Post a Comment